Notre Dame Convalescent Homes, Inc. traces its roots to post-World War II Europe, when the Order of the Sisters of Saint Thomas of Villanova was assembled. The Order, based at their Motherhouse in Paris, France, made a commitment to respond to Pope Pius XII’s call to aspire to new growth in faith and goodness that might rise from the ashes of destruction of the war. The vision of the Sisters was to pledge to establish a community in the United States. Notre Dame Convalescent Homes, Inc. was opened in Norwalk, CT on March 24, 1952, as an extended care facility. The Convent House and Mother Kevin Pavilion were used by the Sisters of St. Thomas of Villanova to care for local needy elderly. In May of 1966, a thirty-bed unit, the Sacred Heart Wing, was added to the original Home. In November of 1972, an additional thirty-bed unit, the Notre Dame Wing, was added. Recently, 6 rooms have been converted to private rooms for the specific use of short-term rehab patients.